Urologic surgery for a child is very different from surgery for adults. The pediatric urology specialists at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children are highly trained for dealing with a child’s reproductive system and urinary tract, as well as being sensitive to your child’s physical and emotional needs. Whether your child was just born or is almost ready to leave for college, our pediatric urologists can perform surgery on kids of all ages.
At Orlando Health Arnold Palmer, you’ll know your child is in good hands, as our pediatric urology program is consistently recognized among the top programs in the nation. Here, we use minimally invasive techniques to enable your child to heal faster and get back to their regular life sooner. Below, you can learn more about the urologic surgical procedures we perform and urology surgery at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer.
Urologic Surgical Procedures
Our surgeons perform a wide range of procedures, including:
- Ambiguous genitalia correction: surgical correction for disorders of sexual differentiation
- Bladder augmentation: increasing the size of the bladder
- Circumcision (male): surgical removal of the foreskin from the penis
- Exstrophy repair: fixes a birth defect of the bladder causing it to stick to the abdominal wall by closing the bladder
- Genital reconstructive surgery: done to correct birth defects or other abnormalities
- Hernia repair: corrects the bulging of internal organs or tissues through the muscle wall
- Hydrocele surgery: corrects the swelling from a backup of fluid around a testicle
- Hypospadias repair: corrects a defect in the placement of the end of the urethra on a penis
- Orchiectomy: removal of one or both testicles
- Orchidopexy: fastening of an undescended testicle inside the scrotum
- Partial, simple and total nephrectomy: kidney removal
- Pediatric pyeloplasty: correction of kidney obstruction in children
- Varicocele correction: done to correct varicose veins that occur in the scrotum
At Orlando Health Arnold Palmer, your family will also have access to special testing, including video fluoroscopic urodynamic testing (using low dose X-ray imaging) and noninvasive uroflowmetry (a special funnel connected to a measuring instrument) to assess urinary function.
Minimally Invasive Surgical Expertise
Helping your child heal quickly is our top priority. With minimally invasive procedures, which use smaller incisions or a child’s natural openings, your child will experience less scarring, a faster healing time, fewer infections and less pain.
Depending on the specific procedure and the location where your child receives care, minimally invasive procedures available may include laparoscopic techniques (the use of a scope and sometimes other instruments to diagnose, inspect and/or treat a problem) and robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery (in which surgeons use a robot to assist in performing very precise movements through small openings or ports in the body).
Our pediatric urologists are skilled in performing robotic surgery and lecture throughout the country on advanced techniques used in pediatric urology surgery.