Care for Genetic Disorders and Metabolic Conditions
The Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children Division of Genetics is the largest and most comprehensive pediatric medical genetics center in Central Florida. Established in 1992, our specialty practice offers comprehensive medical management for children and young adults with a concern regarding a genetic or metabolic condition. A referral from a healthcare provider, such as a pediatrician or other specialist, is required.
Our multidisciplinary team includes board-certified pediatric geneticists, an advanced registered nurse practitioner, board-certified genetic counselors, a registered dietitian, a certified pediatric registered nurse and other staff members dedicated to providing personalized and compassionate care to our patients and their families.
Genetic Testing and Counseling
Our specialized team is skilled in providing care for a large variety of genetic and metabolic disorders. Examples of common disorders we manage include Down syndrome, PKU, chromosome abnormalities, neurofibromatosis, and Fragile X syndrome. Our services include:
- Examination and evaluation of children with possible genetic concerns
- Genetic counseling and education to help families understand and manage their child’s genetic condition
- Coordination of genetic and metabolic testing
- Enzyme therapy and diet management of metabolic genetic disorders, as appropriate
- Follow-up care and referral to community resources
Additional information about our management of genetic disorders is available on our Pediatric Metabolic Genetics Clinic page. Services are provided both at our outpatient clinic and through inpatient consultations at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer and at Orlando Health Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies.
Our genetics team participates in a wide variety of multidisciplinary clinics with other specialties and community resource groups. These include:
- Pediatric Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery Program
- The Howard Phillips Center for Children & Families Special Clinic for Special Kids
- Haley Center for Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Neurofibromatosis Program
- Orlando Health Adult Down Syndrome Clinic
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call (407) 648-7802.