Committed To Keeping Kids Healthy
Infections can occur in healthy children and kids with existing medical conditions. Occasionally, infections are highly resistant to common therapies and can become life threatening. At Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children Infectious Diseases & Immunology, we make sure children receive the best care to restore their health as quickly as possible.
Many infections caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites can be challenging for a general pediatrician to treat because of the infection’s severity, location or its unusual presentation. A pediatric infectious diseases specialist is a licensed pediatrician with expertise in the evaluation and management of these infections in newborns, children and adolescents.
Following a detailed history including epidemiologic exposures and clinical examination, an infectious disease assessment will generally involve laboratory tests including microbiologic cultures or imaging studies. The pediatric infectious diseases physician will then interpret the test results and make treatment recommendations.
Compassionate Care for a Wide Range of Conditions
We care for children of all ages from birth into adulthood, and offer consultation services for the diagnosis and management of complex infectious diseases and illnesses, including:
- Bone and joint infections
- Chronic and recurrent infections
- Chronic wounds
- Clostridium difficile infections
- Congenital infections
- COVID-19 in children
- Fevers or illnesses of unclear cause; prolonged or recurrent
- Immunodeficiency syndromes
- Immunoglobulin replacement
- Infections associated with surgery or prosthetic devices
- Kawasaki disease
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children
- MRSA infections (recurrent or refractory to therapy)
- Outpatient parenteral therapy
- Skin infections
- Travel medicine
To make an appointment or for more information, please call (321) 841-7360.