Positioned For Success
If your child depends on a wheelchair for mobility, having a stable and comfortable seating position is vital to their ongoing health. The Pediatric Rehabilitation Program at Arnold Palmer Hospital is happy to offer the Wheelchair Seating and Positioning Program, so your child’s needs can be addressed. Our team can help your child with:
- A cognitive, environmental, physical and social assessment as it relates to positioning and seating.
- Available product demonstrations for a hands-on experience during each assessment, including, but not limited to:
- ADL equipment for hygiene
- Head and neck positioning devices
- Lightweight manual and power wheelchairs
- Pressure relieving seat and back cushions
- Special needs car seats
- Equipment trial and training, as needed.
- Selection of equipment based on each patient’s needs.
The Wheelchair Seating and Positioning Program team consists of occupational and physical therapists with more than 30 years of combined experience in pediatric wheelchair seating and positioning services. Your child will work with therapists who are Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) certified by the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA), allowing them to provide you and your family with the best possible recommendations and services for assistive technology.
Getting the Process Started
If you’re looking to have your child participate in the Wheelchair Seating and Positioning Program, a prescription from your child’s doctor indicating an “OT/PT seating program evaluation” is needed to schedule an appointment.
After the initial assessment, we’ll complete the required letter of medical necessity for insurance authorization of medical equipment. Once your insurance company provides authorization and issues medical equipment for your child, we will work with you to schedule a follow-up appointment. During the follow-up, we’ll make sure the equipment fits right and is comfortable for your child. Your therapist also will provide information for you and your child on proper equipment use.
Pediatric Rehabilitation Program
Wheelchair Seating and Positioning Program
925 S. Orange Ave.
Orlando, FL 32806