Quick Scheduling with a Pediatric Neuro-Oncologist
If your child is experiencing the symptoms above, request an appointment today or call (321) 841-8558.
Leading Brain Tumor Program in Central Florida
The Pediatric Brain Tumor Program at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children is dedicated to caring for babies, children, and young adults fighting brain and spinal cord tumors. Our comprehensive program is part of the Leon Pediatric Neuroscience Center of Excellence at Orlando Health.
Multidisciplinary Care that Matters
Caring for a child with brain cancer is complicated and requires the involvement of many healthcare experts. There are more than 120 brain tumor types and each type requires a distinct diagnostic and treatment approach. Because of the delicate nature of the central nervous system, even tumors classified as benign are serious and require experienced care.
The Pediatric Brain Tumor Program at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer is the only one of its kind in Florida that brings together pediatric neuro-oncology, pediatric neurosurgery, proton therapy, and a free-standing children’s hospital on one campus.
Leading the program are nationally-recognized brain tumor expert Amy Smith, MD and her medical partner Ana Aguilar-Bonilla, MD. Dr. Smith and Dr. Aguilar are both board-certified doctors who only treat children with brain tumors. Their multidisciplinary treatment team includes:
- Expert doctors who are critical to the child’s diagnosis and care, including pediatric neurosurgeons, radiation oncologists, neuro-pathologists and radiologists.
- Medical and nursing staff with specialized experience in pediatric brain tumors.
- Neuro-oncology social work support which offers crisis counseling, financial help and care coordination.
- Play intervention and therapy with Child Life specialists who support children and families as they cope with illness, hospitalizations and disability.
Through this integrated team approach, each family receives care personalized to their child’s diagnosis and family’s needs
Using the most advanced technology, research and clinical knowledge available, the Pediatric Brain Tumor Program at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children features:
- Individualized treatment plans developed collaboratively with experienced pediatric neuro-oncologists and pediatric neurosurgeons. Our pediatric neurosurgical team has more than 40 years of combined experience and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
- Proton therapy at the Marjorie and Leonard Williams Center for Proton Therapy. Proton therapy provides precision cancer treatment while minimizing harmful side effects and is often recommended for pediatric brain tumor patients.
- Access to new therapies through clinical trials and an international research network. We partner with well-known pediatric cancer hospitals to give children access to the newest treatments.
Family-Friendly and Visitor Facilities
Along with our caring healthcare team, our outpatient and inpatient cancer-specific facilities are designed to welcome and nurture your family. Our child-centered radiology facilities specialize in imaging kids and making them comfortable during each visit. And for visiting family members, housing is available at the Ronald McDonald House right next to Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.
Pediatric Brain Cancer Research Bio and Data Bank
Our patients also have the option to “bank” their health information and any leftover blood, tissue or other samples for future research. Doing so supports our ongoing efforts to learn how to better treat and prevent pediatric brain tumors.
We’re here to help and answer any questions you may have. For more information, please email: [email protected] or call (321) 841-8588. Referring physicians are encouraged to contact Dr. Smith or Dr. Aguilar directly for any suspected central nervous system tumor, newly diagnosed or recurrent patient.